Brazilian Barbecued Chicken Kebabs:
What's the big idea?
Churrasco de Frango
Brazilians love to barbecue, and often a barbecue becomes an all day event, with mountians of beef being slowly barbecued throughout the afternoon, being gradually eaten
slice by slice, washed down with cold beer. The beef is often simply salted and cooked - very little marination.
This chicken dish, however, requires a little marinating, and makes a change from all that beef! The use of parmesan cheese shows a European influence, and adds a tasty and unusual
twist to this recipe.
This can be served as a starter, a main course (increase the quantities), or part of a buffet meal or Brazilian-style all-day barbecue!
My kids absolutely love this recipe, and it has become virtually impossible in our house to have a barbecue without someone requesting this dish. From experience, the only thing to take care with is not to let the
chicken dry out - if it stays nice and succulent this is an unbeatable BBQ recipe, and unusual too...and perfect with a big jug of
Brazil's classic Caipirinha cocktail!
Our Rating (1 - 5):
Here's the list of what you need:
What To Do
- 1lb chicken or turkey breasts, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 100ml natural yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Mix the chicken in a bowl with the salt, garlic, oil and lime juice
- Cover and refrigerate until needed - 2 hours minimum - to allow the flavours to mix
- Feed the chicken pieces onto skewers, baste with yoghurt and sprinkle with parmesan
- Grill or barbecue, turning regularly, until cooked. Baste with more yoghurt and cheese during cooking if needed