Mexican Spicy Filled Tortillas
What's The Big Idea?
Quite a versatile "base recipe" for tortilla filling. This version is vegetarian, but you can add some left-over fried or roast chicken, or some prawns if you wish.
You can cut down the calories by reducing the amount of cheese and sour cream, and alter the "heat" by adjustiing the quantity of chillies to your taste.
Either serve made up into finished tortilla wraps, as described below, or allow people to make up their own - the children love doing this bit!
Our Rating (1 - 5):
Here's the list of what you need:
What To Do
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (deseeded if you want to reduce the heat)
- 2 courgettes, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 4 oz baby sweetcorn, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned and chopped
- 8 flour tortillas
- 3½ fl oz (100ml) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok and fry the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes. Add the chilli and cumin and fry for a further 2 minutes
- Stir in the peppers, courgettes, sweet corn and tomatoes. Cook for a further 6-7 minutes. Stir in the chopped coriander
- Meanwhile, warm the tortillas through in a microwave or oven, as indicated on the packet
- In a bowl, mix the avocado and lemon juice
- Spoon one eighth of the tomato mixture into the middle of each tortilla. Top with avocado, sour cream and cheese. Roll up and serve