What's the big idea?
Great southern-style finger food! Dangerously "more-ish", you can adjust the heat if you want to. If you like a kick, just use regular jalapenos (or other chillies if you can't find them).
If you want to tone them down a bit, blanch the chillies in boiling salted water for a couple of minutes first. Or if you don't want any heat, use regular green peppers.
Here's the list of what you need:
What To Do
- 6oz garlic cream cheese
- 3oz grated cheddar (Monterey Jack is the authentic US cheese of choice for this recipe, if you can get it)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 jalapeno chillies, or 6 green peppers
- A little plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 slices white bread, made into breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat the oven to 375F/190C
- In a bowl, mix together the garlic cream cheese, the grated cheddar and the ground cumin
- Cut the chillies in half lengthways and remove the seeds. If using regular peppers, cut into quarters and remove the seeds
- Fill the peppers/chillies with the cheese mixture
- Dust the poppers with flour, coat with beaten egg and then breadcrumbs. Place on a baking rack and allow to dry for 10 minutes
- Place the baking rack over a baking tray (you may wish to line this with foil, as the cheese will melt...)
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes, until golden on the outside
© Copyright 2012 - Sporting Parties.com