Indian Chicken Karahi
What's The Big Idea?
I think the name karahi derives from the two-handled wok-like pan that this dish is traditionally cooked in, but I'm not sure, so if anyone does know the answer,
please get in touch.
I also think that this dish - or this version of it - is probably southern Indian in its origins, but again, I'm not totally sure. What I do know is that it's a personal favourite,
but that you don't have to use chicken; prawns or lamb will work just a well. Serve with basmati rice and an ice-cold Indian beer!
Remember to allow time for marination.
Here's the list of what you need:
- 4 green cardamoms
- 2 whole cloves
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed red chillies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1-2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1½lbs chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, very finely chopped or grated
- 6-8 dried curry leaves
- 1 x 400g tin tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons creamed coconut *
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
is bought in a solid block, and you simply cut off as much as you need, and store the rest in the refrigerator.
What To Do
- Crush the cardamoms, cloves and chillies in a pestle and mortar (or you can use a coffee grinder if you have one)
- Mix these with the salt, ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika, cinnamon, turmeric and vinegar to form a paste
- Rub this paste into the chicken, place in a glass or pyrex bowl, cover and leave in the refrigerator to marinate for a couple of hours
- Heat the ghee or oil in a wok and fry the onion for 5 minutes
- Add the garlic, ginger and curry leaves and fry for a further 3 minutes
- Add the chicken and its marinade to the wok and continue frying for 5 minutes
- Add the tomatoes. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer
- Add the creamed coconut, and stir until it has dissolved. Add more water if needed
- Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through
- Sir in the lime juice and fresh coriander, and serve