Japanese Chicken & Egg Rice Bowl:
What's The Big Idea?
Simple traditional dish of chicken, egg and rice all served in individual bowls. Sometimes called "parent and child meal" because of the combination of chicken and egg.
Many people believe that this dish was the inspiration for Paul Simon's song "Mother and Child Reunion".
Here's the list of what you need:
- 12oz chicken meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 8oz rice
- 150 ml bonito soup stock*
- 2½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 2½ tablespoons sweet sake (mirin
*Bonito stock can be made from flakes or powder, and is also known as dashi
. If you cannot obtain it, use ordinary fish stock.
What To Do
- Place the rice in a saucepan with 300ml water and bring to the boil
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and water has been absorbed
- Meanwhile, in a wok bring the bonito soup stock to the boil, and add the soy sauce and mirin
- Reduce the heat to simmer. Add the onion. After 5 minutes, add the chicken
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked
- Stir in the egg. Continue cooking, stirring regularly, until the egg is cooked
- Spoon the rice into individual bowls. Top with the chicken and egg mixture
© Copyright 2012 - Sporting Parties.com