London Onion & Ale Soup
What's the big idea?
A great "winter warmer", this is a variation on a classic onion soup. Half a pint of good English ale adds a lot of richness to the flavour.
For a vegetarian option, replace the beef stock with vegetable stock (althouth this will of course significantly alter the flavour).
Serve with warm crusty bread.
Here's the list of what you need:
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- ½ pint ale*
- 1½ pints beef stock
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2oz butter
- 6oz cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
*For a traditional London flavour, try using Fullers ESB Champion Ale
What To Do
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the onions. Cook until translucent
- Add the beef stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, then add the potatoes and ale
- Allow to cook until the potatoes have broken down. Remove from heat and add the grated cheese
- Blend thoroughly and serve immediately
© Copyright 2012 - Sporting Parties.com