Northern Ireland "Champ"
What's the big idea?
Champ is about as simple as it gets on the cooking front! It's a very basic recipe for potatoes, which today might be served as an accompaniement to a meat dish, but in times gone by
would probably have been a meal in itself. Although the list of ingredients is fairly basic, there's nothing to stop you adding a few extras of your own, e.g. a little cooked bacon or ham,
if you want to. Or serve your champ with a poached or fried egg on top.
Here's the list of what you need:
What To Do
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 100 - 150g spring onions, chopped
- 225ml milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Salt, to taste
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until just cooked
- Drain, but then leave the potatoes in the pot to allow the water to evaporate and the potatoes to dry
- Mash well
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan simmer the spring onions in the milk for 5 minutes
- Add the butter and continue to cook until the butter has melted
- Add the spring onion, milk and butter mixture to the mashed potatoes and mix well
© Copyright 2012 - Sporting Parties.com